Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Tasty Tuesday - Chicken Soup for a Cold

I have a bad head cold right now with probably the worst sore throat I've had in years. So in honor of that I've decided to post a nice soothing chicken soup recipe with a little kick. This recipe takes advantage of leftovers or you can start from completely fresh ingredients. I usually make this when I have leftover roasted chicken. I've also found an article that discusses foods to help a cold - http://www.cookinglight.com/cooking/hl/nutrition/article/0,13803,734808,00.html

Chicken Soup for a Cold


4 cans 98% fat free chicken broth
4 - 6 cans water (depending on how much broth you like in your soup)
2 Tbsp. Parsley
1 tbsp black pepper
1 - 2 tsp. red pepper flakes
1 - 2 cups chopped, diced or shredded chicken (I usually debone the remainder of a roasted chicken that we've had the night before)
1 can carrots (do not drain liquid)
1 can green beans (do not drain)
1 can corn (do not drain)
1 - 2 stalks celery diced (this is optional and I really do not like celery so I usually leave this out)
1/2 bag egg noodles

Put all ingredients except for egg noodles into a large pot. Bring to a rolling boil and then add the egg noodles. Cook just until noodles are tender and immediately remove from heat. Noodles must be added last or they will get very soft and mushy. The chicken broth combined with the hot pepper makes for a great food for a cold. More or less pepper can be used. I like mine very spicy!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If you are too sick to make your own soup - - you can order it from
www.GrandmasChickenSOup.com