Monday, May 26, 2008

Monday Motivation - This do in remembrance of me

Today is Memorial Day. The day that we remember those in our lives that have already gone on. I was thinking about this and wondering what would people remember about me when I am gone? Will they remember that I was an intelligent, caring, and motivated person or will they remember that I was someone who struggled with her weight and had poor self-esteem? Is that really how I "want" to be remembered anyway? The more I thought about this the more I realized that when I am gone I don't want to be remembered for my outward appearance and if I am remembered by my outward appearance I want it to be a good memory for people. I want people to say "now that was a pretty and confident girl." When I remember my loved ones I don't think of their appearance but rather the people they were on the inside. I remember what it is who made them who they are. Some of those loved ones I have many good memories of, some of them there are memories that I wish I didn't have to carry with me. Those memories are the ones that make me think that I want to leave a lasting impression with the people I leave behind when I go. I don't ever want someone to have a bad memory of me when I am gone. I want people to remember that I was confident, strong, kind, compassionate, intelligent, funny, and willing to do the Lord's work. If I am not confident with who I am now, if I feel very awkward in my physical appearance then it is hard to be all of those things. My outward appearance affects how I feel inwardly. My weight makes me feel like I can't really accomplish what I want in life. I struggle even trying to pray some nights because of the confidence I lack. I don't want this to be the way I am remembered. We had communion at our church last night. We usually do this during passover but some things happened and we had to push it aside. I think it was very fitting however that we were able to do this during the Memorial Day weekend. We read the passages in the bible that explains about the communion and how Jesus said to do this in remembrance of Him. I thought it a very powerful line when it said "this do in remembrance of me." We can never remember the Lord as He was to the desciples but we can remember Him as He has worked in our own lives. I certainly remember and am in awe of all the things He has brought me out of. The Lord is not slack concerning His children and He has been there through every "need." We are His children so if we remember Him and all the things He has done for us then we too should leave a legacy for others to remember. One that tells about the wonderous works of God. What does it say of us as christians when the only thing people can see on us is poor self esteem and a physical body that does not match the inward spiritual body? It would be wonderul to have said of us when we are gone that we were true christians and God fearing people and served God with every part of us. How do you want to be remembered?

Luke 22:19And he took bread, and gave thanks, and brake it, and gave unto them, saying, This is my body which is given for you: this do in remembrance of me.

Watch the video in the next post. It explains perfectly what I mean.

No comments: